SRACLC offers internship opportunities year-round to college students majoring in Therapeutic Recreation or a related field. Each experience is specifically designed to prepare the student for their professional career by combining practical, hands on learning utilizing their educational backgrounds. Duties include working hands on with people with disabilities, program planning, leadership, and evaluation, along with exposure to marketing and fundraising. We are seeking enthusiastic, organized, and creative individuals with strong leadership skills.
Compensation: Weekly stipend is available
Hours: Daytime hours, evenings, and weekends, flexible hours, 15-35 per week
Therapeutic Recreation Internship
The Special Recreation Association of Central Lake County (SRACLC) provides year round community based recreation programs and services to individuals with special needs and their families. Students will be assigned to many tasks and situations throughout the internship that will include exposure to the NCTRC Job Analysis and will have a lasting effect on his/her future endeavors. The Therapeutic Recreation Internship is designed specifically for students fulfilling requirements for the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification.
- Attending an accredited college or university to acquire a Bachelors degree in Therapeutic Recreation or recreation with a therapeutic emphasis.
- Ability to assist with assessing, planning, developing, implementing, and evaluating activity programs for the SRACLC population.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with clientele, fellow full-time staff, part time staff, volunteers, day camp staff, parents/guardians, park district and school district personnel, as well as members of the general public.
- Ability to engage in activities requiring physical exertion. Ability to perform required duties under stressful situations with supervision.
- First Aid/CPR certification preferred.
- Clean driving record and criminal background check.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (including, but not limited to):
- Assist with the planning, developing, leading, and evaluating therapeutic recreation programs.
- Assist in supervision and evaluation of part-time staff and volunteers in assigned programs.
- Assist with the development of goals and objectives for each assigned program and assist with the maintenance of all program paperwork; i.e., records, forms, and correspondence.
- Assist the full time staff with developing and maintaining effective communication with special education teachers, social service workers, community members, parents, and agency personnel.
- Complete an Agency Internship Project as jointly determined by the supervisor and intern.
- Drive bus or car to programs, seasonal events, away trips and/or meetings.
- Provide physical and emotional support to both children and adults with limitations when working and participating in activities requiring assistance.
- Adhere to the safety policies as indicated by the PDRMA Loss Control Program and the SRACLC Safety Manual.
- Perform other duties related to the duties of a Therapeutic Recreation Intern.
- Must be able to work efficiently and effectively under pressure; such as deadlines and emergencies.
- Must demonstrate adequate leadership qualities.
Spring Semester: October 1
Summer Semester: February 15
Fall Semester: April 1
Please email cover letter, resume, and application to Cassie Wodrich at email@example.com